Spex SuperHigh Contour Cushion
Position for windswept or hip/femur alignment variances
Deep pelvic immersion
More clearance for hip positioning belts
Stability and control
Maintain pelvic stability
Coloured cover options
Designed for the user who has moderate to severe positioning requirements. Excellent choice for individuals who:
- Require deep pelvic and hip immersion
- Require external sensory feedback to assist in stabilising posture
- Have muscle tone patterns that require sufficient thigh lateral control. Thigh support is higher for alignment - refer measurement table
- If extremity support can't be maintained through the use of external thigh laterals and/or if installing thigh laterals can't be used, the SuperHigh contour cushion will provide that needed support and stabilization
- Have a symmetrical or asymmetrical sitting posture that requires correction or control/accommodation
- Require pelvic comfort and pressure relief/distribution
- Require a high degree of pelvic stability and specific contouring
- Positioning base accommodates tight hamstrings/lack of hip flexion
- No maintenance required. A reliable, peace-of-mind solution!
- Strategic contouring pads offer complete customisations on-the-spot for a perfect fit for the client
- Removable lateral rigidizers which add extra thigh support/alignment
- Gel-foam ischial well evenly distributes pressure under the pelvis and in combination with the dual-layer cover, reduces shear forces in sensitive areas
- Coccyx channel for enhanced pressure relief (for sizes 16” +)
- Dual-layer cover reduces shear forces, and breathable air-mesh on cushion sides counters moisture
- Inner incontinence cover included
- Customizable for many requirements such as leg length discrepancies
- Not compatible with Thigh Supports or Medial Thigh Supports
Strategic Positioning Base
With the proven in-built adjustable base system, the Spex cushion can be configured to solve many different pelvis needs ranging from basic cushion stability up to difficult pelvic situations.
Modifications by strategic placement in the adjustable base cell system further contour the cushion for correction, control, balance, stability, pressure redistribution and many other needs.
With adjustment being done at the base of the cushion, the upper foam layers are unaffected and don’t cause bottoming-out or further pressure risks.
Configurations can be easily made so pressure is redistributed from the ischial tuberosities and coccyx onto the trochanters and femurs for enhanced load bearing and stability.
With treating each leg independently via the cells it is easy to obtain optimum positioning and levelling the pelvis correctly and effectively, and this process can be carried out without limit by simply rearranging and modifying the cells at any time for changing postural needs.
Obliquity adjustment is simple and can be built up with the 10mm pads to create the correct height required.
The Spex cushion can be adapted on-the-spot to suit individual pelvic needs including:
- Pelvic obliquity
- Tight hamstrings
- Posterior pelvic tilt
- Anterior pelvic tilt
- Limited hip flexion (one side or both)
- Extensor thrust
- Pelvic rotation
- And much more!
Below are some common adjustments to the strategic base:
Pressure Rating & Characteristics
Our Spex cushions have been laboratory tested in USA for pressure characteristics. Please note that this was tested using a standard Spex cushion without any contouring done to the positioning base.
Data demonstrated that pressure readings across all five zones (L/R Trochanter, L/R Ischial Tuberosity and Sacrum) show smooth transitions without significant peaks in pressure for both test cushions. The readings indicate good pressure distribution over the entire sitting surface.
|Width||Cushion Height||Weight Capacity||Trough Height||Product Weight|
Cushion Pad Specifications
|Cushion Depth||Number of Thigh Contouring Rows||Number of Thigh Contouring Pads||Number of Pelvic Contouring Pads|
This is used to compare the Spex products only.
Spex SuperHigh (full length contouring)
Cushion Size Chart
Add a Splash of Colour!
Choose from Granite Grey, Ocean Blue, Royal Purple, Calypso Pink, Chilli Red, Mango Orange, Bumblebee Yellow, Leaf Green, or the standard Black, to brighten up your Spex cushion, back support, and head support!
|Granite Grey||Ocean Blue||Royal Purple||Calypso Pink||Chilli|
|Mango Orange||Bumblebee Yellow||Leaf Green|
K0108 (Cushion modifications)
Spare Cushion Outer Cover
Spare Cushion Incontinence Cover
5° Cushion Wedge
Extra Cushion Positioning Kit
Spex Phone Accessory Bag
Full Length Lateral Contouring
Full length lateral contouring can be specified rather than a 50mm "step" in the rear of all standard SuperHigh Contour Spex Classic cushions.
Leg Length Discrepancy
A custom cut-out can be made into the cushion if the user has a leg length discrepancy. You will need to specify if this is to be on the user's left or right and the depth of the cut-out as per the dimension shown in the image. When ordering a cushion with a cut-out, order the cushion based on the seat depth of the longer leg, and then specify the cut-out as per the length of the shorter leg.
Contracture Cut-back, or a sloping front, can be achieved for users presenting with tight hamstrings or contractures. Please specify the length as shown on the image.
Custom Medial Thigh Support
A custom-sized in-built Medial Thigh Support can be specified, as per the dimensions shown on the image.
Remove Medial Thigh Support
Remove the Medial Thigh Support on the cushion so that a flat front surface is achieved without any contouring. This is a great option to facilitate easy transfers for users without natural adduction of the thighs, or if a separate flip-down pommel is going to be used.
Custom Lateral Thigh Supports
Custom-sized Lateral Thigh Supports can be specified as per the dimensions shown on the image.
Custom Hip Belt Slots
Cut-outs in the side adductors can be made into the cushion for more effective placement of hip belts and avoidance of "bridging" between the top of the user's thighs and the top of the cushion contouring. You will need to specify the location and width of the slots as per the dimensions shown on the image.
Top Surface Overlays
Additional Pressure Relieving Overlay on the top surface of the cushion.
Supracor® Honeycomb Overlay on the top surface of the cushion.
Rear Cut-Outs for Back Support Canes
If the cushion needs to extend between the back support canes of the wheelchair but will be wider than the gap between the canes, specify dimensions for cut-outs in the rear corners of the cushion.
Custom Sized Ischial Well
A custom sized Ischial Well on the rear of the cushion can be specified by using the dimensions shown on the image. The position of the coccyx ridge can be changed to the left or the right (specify the distance and direction from the centre of the ischial well to the new position).
Ischial Well Padding Inserts
Specify different padding inserts for the ishcial well of the cushion. Choose between:
- 1/2" gel foam
- 1" soft gel foam
- 1/2" waffle gel