Easily solve upper torso positioning needs for most wheelchair users with the Spex Classic Surface Back Support. The Surface Back Support incorporates the classic Spex contouring cube system to allow on-the-spot customisations for torso comfort and asymmetry needs, whilst also providing greater stability for the user’s upper body and lower trunk.
Greater stability in the trunk can allow for improved head and neck movements, and greater contact surface can aid with pressure distribution for comfort. The contouring and immersion ensures that individual body shape and comfort needs are easily responded to with the Surface Back Support.
The Surface provides superior upper back, shoulder, and pelvic support, and is especially useful in situations where the user requires tilt-in-space and their upper body, shoulders, and lower trunk will have more contact with the contact surface of the back support.
- Superior upper back and shoulder support
- Enhanced lower trunk and pelvic support
- Effortless customisations
- On-the-spot adaptions for changing postural needs
- Instant results
- Cubes can be removed and added at any time
- Contouring doesn’t move or slip out of adjustment
- Additional contouring support wedges can be used to further enhance the degree of contouring for individual body shapes
While the standard Classic Back Support style with its rectangle shape fits between the wheelchair canes, the Surface sits in front of the wheelchair canes due to the additional shoulder support components. This will inhibit the recline adjustment that is available in most Spex back support hardware.
Designed for the individual who:
- Requires a comfortable back support to reduce torso pain
- Requires spinal alignment and support
- Has skin breakdown/pressure care needs
- Has bony or protruding skeletal prominences
- Have changing postural needs
- Pertains a maladaptive or asymmetric posture
|For Mild Bony Prominences||For Immersion||For Asymmetry|
|Without even adjusting the cube system, the Spex back support has slight contouring and integrates a comfortable pressure reducing foam surface layer to absorb mild bony prominences and asymmetries for uniform torso contact.||For individuals that require immersion into the back support, simply adjust the cube contouring cell system to configure for a perfect fit and shape for the user’s back.||For asymmetrical or maladaptive postures, the contour can be arranged to provide the matching shape required to support the user’s torso profile.|
- Comfortable pressure reducing foam surface layer to absorb bony prominences.
- Cube contouring cell system provides configurations for a perfect fit and shape for the client.
- Customisation to contouring are performed on-the-spot.
- Created as the solution-solver for asymmetrical back postures.
- Modular componentry means you can ‘mix and match’ with different lateral pad options and positioning supports.
- Offers exceptional back/shoulder contact.
- Sustainable choice for issuing to other users.
- Dual-layer cover reduces shear forces, and breathable air-mesh on back support sides counters moisture and temperature.
Spex Lateral Trunk Supports
- Fixed Bracket
- Standard Swing-Away Bracket
- Axial Swing-Away Bracket
Select Bracket Upgrade
- Cane Mount
- DeepContour backrest bracket
- Extension for DeepContour (commonly used with SuperShape Backrest
- Extended padding over mechanism to protect arms from metal hardware
- Clever release strap for operating the swing away movement
- Easy release for users who have limited hand function and need independent use to open the laterals for transfers
Spex Head Supports
|Unique minimal head support providing direct posterior support for users with good head control.
Available in two sizes: Circle 150 and Circle 250.
|General use head support pad suited for transit and travel.
Available in two sizes: Comfort 250 and Comfort 350.
|Contoured shaped pad for superior occipital and suboccipital support.
Available in two sizes: Contour 250 and Contour 350.
|Standard Lateral||Extended Lateral||Adjustable Lateral|
|One-piece lateral head support solution for moderate head positioning needs.
Available in two sizes: Paediatric and Adult.
|One-piece lateral head support solution for complex head positioning needs.
Available in two sizes: Paediatric and Adult.
|A superior adjustable lateral head control system with individualised ‘tuning’.
Available in two sizes: Adjustable Lateral 150 and Adjustable Lateral 250.
Custom head supports are available – please contact us for more information.
Spex Medial Thigh Support
Swing-Down, Standard Pad
|Code||Size||A (mm)||B (mm)||C (mm)||D (mm)||E (mm)||F(mm)|
Swing-Down, Axial-Adjustable Pad
|Code||Size||A (mm)||B (mm)||C (mm)||D (mm)||E (mm)||F (mm)|
For medial thigh support customisations please contact us.
Spex Tray Tables
|Size||Width||Depth||Black ABS Tray Top||Clear Polycarbonate Tray Top|
|Small||450 mm||450 mm||1311-7101-000||1311-7111-000|
|Medium||550 mm||550 mm||1311-7102-000||1311-7112-000|
|Large||650 mm||650 mm||1311-7103-000||1311-7113-000|
Slide and Lock
Drop and Lock
|Back Support Size||10″-15″ (25.4-38cm)||16″-20″ (41-51cm)||21″+ (53cm+)|
|Maximum Occupant Weight||200 lb (90 kg)||300 lb (136 kg)||Must use Heavy-Duty brackets
400 lb (180 kg)
|Maximum Occupant Weight with Heavy-Duty Brackets||300 lb (136 kg)||400 lb (180kg)|
Thickness of the back support is 7 cm. The Spex Classic Back Support is designed to be contoured and this measurement only reflects the thickness without any of this contouring. Therefore the back support thickness will likely be less than 7cm in some sections and more in others.
Select code from above table to identify back support size, add code 1290-2937-000 to script a Surface-style Back Support.
Surface gives greater support in the shoulder and pelvic areas, and is positioned in front of the wheelchair canes.
|Width||Height||Rectangle Shape Code|
When ordering a T Shape or Surface back support, the standard plates used are shown above. Plates shown in blue = 10-15″ back support. Plates shown in red = 16″+ back support.